Monday, July 03, 2006

Just What Is Your Oval Sticker Trying to Tell the Rest of Us?

When I was a teenager and newly acquainted with Martha’s Vineyard, before Ted Kennedy’s sad indiscretion awakened the world to the existence of this little Island, souvenir shops were selling rectangular automobile plaques with white seagull silhouettes and the words Martha’s Vineyard on them.
I remember going back to New York proudly sporting my status symbol on the front of my car, proclaiming to God and country that I was a resident of MV. I showed it to my mother, who totally surprised me with her stern and emphatic response. “Take that thing off your car immediately”, she said. Then she explained that she didn’t want anyone to know about her special Island. Well, times have changed and today we want people to know where we come from, where we’d like to come from, and what kind of dog or cat we have --- even if we don’t have a black dog. I had to chuckle when I read the following article, and hope you will too --- and take that thing off your car immediately.

Click on Link to read essay - > Just What Is Your Oval Sticker Trying to Tell the Rest of Us?

No comments: