Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Wake Up And Make That Dream Come True

2011 started off with a whimper, and some say it was due to the weather. Really? Then as the year was ending sales really revved up and we finished with a mild roar, the echo of which carried over into all of January 2012. Sales have slowed down now, which is customary for February, but the activity has not slowed down as there are a good number of buyers looking through the inventory for attractive opportunities.

I know this is going to sound like some kind of sales pitch, but this is a good time to buy. Rates are still low, sellers are unsure of the future economy and wondering if they should hang on or get out now, and there is very little competition in the market. Once activity ramps up, multiple offers will become common and as a result prices will go up.
I’ve always said the Vineyard is not for everyone and I believe being here has to be a passion and a dream, not just an investment opportunity. Although, buying on the Vineyard is most certainly a good investment opportunity in the long run. I’ve heard dozens of would-have should-have stories over the years. The current market is your opportunity to become a winner and not past tense. However, if you are not passionate about the Vineyard there are many other locations that are offering great opportunities right now as markets are at rock bottom and starting to turn around.

On New Years I received a correspondence from a Client I had been working with for several years gleefully announcing he had just purchased a property close to the water in Rhode Island. I knew that for him real estate was all about the price and did not involve emotion, so I was happy for him even though I had worked very hard over the years on his behalf. Then the other day I was reaching out to another Client I had not spoken with since before the new year. He responded proudly telling me that he had reversed his life plan and just purchased a property in Cape Coral, Florida on a canal with a pool. Once again, I was happy for him and I did not blame him one bit for making that decision. He still intends to purchase an Island home, it is just that now it may take him a little longer since he used up about half of his Island home budget. What I am saying here is that even though the prices are very attractive here, relatively speaking, there are many parts of the country where prices are probably even more attractive.

Martha’s Vineyard is a lifestyle decision and only if you love Martha from top to bottom, inside and out will buying a home here make any sense. Martha gave me a better life and brought me together with the love of my life. She provides shelter for one of my sons and my other sons and friends always ask to come for a visit. I love Martha’s Vineyard and if you do too, then I support your dream and want to help you make that dream come true.

No comments: